Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ten Things: Star Trek Into Darkness

(For my inaugural post here at Impossible to Please, I thought it fitting to begin with an updated version of the Facebook status update that planted the first seed of an idea.)




I did not like Star Trek Into Darkness.  At all.  I could (and probably will) dedicate an entire blog post to why this movie is a failure and why it's a terrible omen for Star Wars Episode VII.  When I said as much on Facebook after seeing it, one of the first comments was how I don't like anything.  To prove that person wrong, I decided to come up with one thing that I liked about STID.  That one thing became five things, which ended up ballooning to ten things.  Soon I was listing ten good things in other movies I hated, plus ten bad things about movies I liked.  A few months later and that idea has blossomed into the blog you see here.



So, without further ado, I present:

Ten Positive Things About Star Trek Into Darkness

1.  I liked it better than the 2009 TrekThat isn't much, since I think the first one is an overrated pile of space debris, but still.

2.  Carl Urban is much better as Bones this time around.  In fact, he's one of my favorite parts of the film.  And this from a guy who hated his turn as the character in 2009.

3.  Simon Pegg.

4.  I enjoyed Zachary Quinto's Spock more this time around.  Probably because he doesn't spend 90% of the movie with that dumb, smug smirk he had in the previous movie.

5.  Chris Pine's Kirk is slightly less punchable this time around.  He's still an obnoxious DudeBro, though.

6.  Admiral Pike's Reason You Suck Speech to Kirk was epic.  He pointed out everything wrong with this interpretation of Kirk (and also the biggest problem with the first film) in under two minutes.  The fact that Kirk is trying to filibuster the whole time (thereby making Pike's point for him) is just icing on the cake.

7.  Speaking of Admiral Pike, those sideburns were spectacular.  They will be missed.

8.  The special effects are still really good (minus the lens flares).

9.  Sulu is still awesome...but still has nothing to do.

10.  Benedict Cumberpatch is a fun name to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment